Waterways and Shipping Authority Kiel-Holtenau
|Supervisory authority||Directorate-General for Waterways and Shipping|
|Authority management||Detlef Wittmuess|
The Waterways and Shipping Office Kiel-Holtenau (WSA Kiel-Holtenau) is a waterways and shipping office in Germany. It belongs to the service area of the General Directorate for Waterways and Shipping , formerly the Waterways and Shipping Directorate North .
Area of responsibility
The authority is responsible for the eastern part of the Kiel Canal (from / to canal kilometer 49.5 near Breiholz a little west of Rendsburg ), the Obereidersee, the Borgstedter See and the Flemhuder See as well as the Achterwehrer Schifffahrtskanal .
Area of responsibility
The tasks include:
- Maintenance, operation and expansion of the part of the Kiel Canal in the administrative area
- Maintenance and operation of the lock systems in Holtenau
- Operation of the ferries across the Kiel Canal in the official area
- Maintenance and operation of the floating and fixed sea marks in the official area
- Order and safety of shipping
- Takeover of electricity and shipping police tasks.
The authority includes the outer districts 1 in Rendsburg and 2 in Kiel-Holtenau as well as the building yard in Rendsburg.
- The suburb 1 in Rendsburg is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Kiel Canal from canal kilometer 49.5 to canal kilometer 87.0 including the backwaters of the canal and the Achterwehrer shipping canal.
- The outer district 2 in Kiel-Holtenau is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Kiel Canal from canal kilometer 87.0 to the Kiel Fjord.
- The Rendsburg building yard is responsible for maintenance and repair work on ships, systems and navigation marks of the Kiel-Holtenau waterways and shipping office. The construction yard is also responsible for the maintenance work on the canal ferries and the transporter ferry in Rendsburg. The building yard has a shipbuilding hall, a harbor and shipyard-like structures such as workshops and a slipway . The machine shop (building VIII), the water tower of the Saatseewerft and the steam hammer in building VIII are entered in the list of cultural monuments in Rendsburg .
Small vehicle license plate
Viewing platform Wik
As part of its public relations work for visitors, the authority maintains a viewing platform on the south side of the lock system.  From this elevated vantage point with various information options,  which is barrier-free, you have a good overview of what is happening on the lock system. The lock area itself is subject to the requirements of the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code and is not accessible to the public. Lock island and the old locks are only accessible as part of guided tours  (due to construction work - as of 2017 - there are currently no tours  ).
- Wik viewing platform - Kiel-Holtenau lock, Kiel-Holtenau waterways and shipping office, February 2015 (PDF file, 661 kB). Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- warm welcome - the NOK is always worth a visit! Kiel-Holtenau Waterways and Shipping Authority (PDF file, 11.3 MB). Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- Waterways and Shipping Office , Museum Association Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg e. V. Accessed July 24, 2017.
- Kiel Canal - Lock , Kiel Fjord Experience, Kiel Fjord Region Working Group. Retrieved July 24, 2017.