Waterways and Shipping Authority Upper Rhine - Wasserstraßen- und Schifffahrtsamt Oberrhein
Upper Rhine Waterways and Shipping Office
|Supervisory authority||Directorate-General for Waterways and Shipping|
|founding||October 22, 2019|
|Authority management||Jörg Vogel|
The office emerged on October 22, 2019 from the amalgamation of the previous waterways and shipping authorities in Freiburg and Mannheim and became the fifth new waterways and shipping department to be formed as part of the official reform.
Area of responsibility
The Upper Rhine Waterways and Shipping Office is responsible for the Upper Rhine federal waterway from the Rhine at km 170,000 at the border triangle between Germany ( Weil am Rhein ), Switzerland ( Basel ) and France ( Huningue ) to the Rhine at km 493,500 for a length of 323.5 km Mainz ( Weisenauer bridge of the A 60 ).
In addition, the ESC Upper Rhine is also for those of the commercial vessels used Altrheinarme Lampertheim and floor City Erfelden and for the estuary stretch of the Neckar responsible in the city of Mannheim.
The tasks of the Waterways and Shipping Office include:
- Maintenance of the federal waterways in the official area
- Operation and maintenance of structures, e.g. B. Locks , weirs and bridges (there are 27 barrages on the Neckar )
- Extension and new construction
- Maintenance and operation of the navigation signs
- Recording and evaluation of water levels , runoffs and environmentally relevant data (e.g. temperature)
- Takeover of electricity and shipping police tasks.