Waterways and Shipping Office Wilhelmshaven - Wasserstraßen- und Schifffahrtsamt Wilhelmshaven
Waterways and Shipping Office Wilhelmshaven
|Supervisory authority||Directorate-General for Waterways and Shipping|
|founding||1. November 1949|
|resolution||8. April 2019|
The Wasserstraßen- und Schifffahrtsamt Wilhelmshaven (WSA Wilhelmshaven) was a waterways and shipping office in Germany. It belonged to the service area of the General Directorate for Waterways and Shipping , formerly Waterways and Shipping Directorate Northwest .
The Waterways and Shipping Office in Wilhelmshaven was founded on November 1st, 1949. Its predecessor organizations go back to 1854 . By merging the waterways and shipping authorities in Wilhelmshaven, Bremen and Bremerhaven , the new waterways and shipping department Weser-Jade-Nordsee was merged on April 8, 2019 .
Area of responsibility
The tasks of the Waterways and Shipping Office Wilhelmshaven included:
- Maintenance and expansion of the Jade federal waterway
- Maintenance and operation of the floating and fixed sea marks
- Maintenance and operation of the traffic safety systems Jade and German Bight
- Takeover of electricity and shipping police tasks
- Securing the islands of Wangerooge and Minsener Oog to maintain a stable Jade fairway
- Maintenance and operation of the Wilhelmshaven sea lock
- Maintenance, expansion and new construction of the hydraulic engineering and port facilities of the German Navy in Wilhelmshaven
The Wilhelmshaven suburb with the Wilhelmshaven sea lock and the Wangerooge and Minsener Oog bases, as well as the building yard in Wilhelmshaven and the communications engineering department, belonged to the Wilhelmshaven waterways and shipping office.
- The outskirts of Wilhelmshaven were responsible for the operation of the Wilhelmshaven sea lock as well as the maintenance, repair and monitoring of the structures and facilities in the area of the federal waterway Jade and the German Bight .
- The building yard in Wilhelmshaven was responsible for maintenance work on the systems of the federal waterway Jade, maintenance and upkeep of the sea lock as well as maintenance and repair work on the waterways and shipping authority's vessels.
- The communications engineering specialist group was responsible for the technology of the Jade and German Bight traffic safety systems.
Traffic control center
The Wilhelmshaven Waterways and Shipping Authority maintained a traffic control center from which shipping traffic on the Jade between the approach northwest of Wangerooge and Wilhelmshaven and part of the German Bight was monitored and directed around the clock. 
The Waterways and Shipping Office operated a radar chain along the fairway to monitor and control shipping traffic on the Jade.  For the German Bight mid-1980s was long-range radar equipment put one on Helgoland in operation, which was used for radar surveillance of the sea area within a radius of 48 kilometers. The traffic control center at the Wilhelmshaven waterways and shipping office was responsible for the area north, west and south of Heligoland (here up to the approaches to the Elbe and Weser ) as well as parts of the traffic separation areas "Terschelling - German Bight" off the East Frisian Islandsand “Westansteuer Deutsche Bucht” west of Heligoland . 
Small vehicle license plate
- Verkehrszentrale , Wasserstraßen- und Schifffahrtsamt Wilhelmshaven, accessed on July 9, 2018.
- Jade traffic safety system , Waterways and Shipping Office Wilhelmshaven (with map). Retrieved September 9, 2011
- German Bight Traffic Safety System , Waterways and Shipping Office Wilhelmshaven (with map). Retrieved September 9, 2011