Wilfried Scharnagl (born October 26, 1938 in Hinterkotten , Tachau district , Sudetenland ; † October 16, 2018 in Freising ) was a German journalist , author and politician of the CSU . From 1964 he was an employee of the CSU state management and the CSU party newspaper Bayernkurier , from 1977 to 2001 its editor-in-chief.
Scharnagl studied history at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich and the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main . He then worked as an editor at the Freisinger Tagblatt .
He was a long-time companion of Franz Josef Strauss . Their relationship was considered extremely intimate. Strauss is said to have said about Scharnagl: "He writes what I think and I think what Scharnagl writes."  Scharnagl was active in the CSU and took part in meetings of the highest party bodies. He was a member of the board of the Hanns Seidel Foundation . He was awarded the Bavarian Order of Merit.
In August 2012, Scharnagl published the book Bavaria can do it alone , in which he pleaded for an independent Bavarian state .  Until then, such a demand had only been made by the Bavarian separatist party . He was accused of presenting historical events one-sidedly in the book, for example not mentioning that the Free State of Bavaria was proclaimed by the Berlin- born socialist Kurt Eisner .  In March 2014 his book Failure was published in Brussels. Plea for a better Europe , in which he goes to court with the Brussels EU bureaucracy.
Scharnagl died on October 16, 2018 in Freising, ten days before he would turn 80. 
- Japan. The concerted aggression. 1969.
- The penny empire: trade unions as entrepreneurs. 1970.
- The filth we live in or an obituary for our environment. 1971.
- with Petra Moll : Munich. Dream city in winter. 1980.
- The great Petra Moll book. Rosenheimer Verlagshaus & Augsburger Bücher Verlag, Rosenheim / Augsburg 1981, ISBN 3-475-52327-2 . (Review in Franconia 121/1983 )
- Marianne Strauss . A book of memory. 1984.
- with a contribution by Edward Heath : Group Europe. Wish and reality. Ehrenwirth, Munich 1972.
- My bouquet: statesman and friend. Ars Una, Neuried 2008, ISBN 978-3-89391-860-7 .
- Bavaria can do it alone: pleading for its own state. Quadriga, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-86995-048-8 .
- Failure in Brussels: a plea for a better Europe. Keysersche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Munich / Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-86886-026-9 .
- On the Abyss: Polemic for a different approach to Russia. Keysersche Verlagbuchhandlung, Berlin 2015, ISBN 978-3-86886-029-0 .
- Wilfried Scharnagl in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Literature by and about Wilfried Scharnagl in the catalog of the German National Library
- On the death of Wilfried Scharnagl: The Alter Ego of Franz Josef Strauss (Süddeutsche Zeitung)
- Martin Knobbe: CSU veteran Scharnagl: "It is time for the great Bavarian rebellion". In: Spiegel Online . August 22, 2015, accessed October 16, 2018 .
- Katrin van Randenborgh: Focussed: "Bavaria can do it alone". In: Focus 28/2012. July 9, 2012, accessed October 16, 2018 .
- Oliver Das Gupta: Why Merkel is targeting the CSU election campaigners. In: sueddeutsche.de . August 22, 2012, accessed October 16, 2018 .
- Wilfried Scharnagl passed away. In: CSU . October 16, 2018, accessed October 23, 2018 .
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German politician (CSU), editor-in-chief of "Bayernkurier" and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 26, 1938|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hinterkotten , Sudetenland|
|DATE OF DEATH||16th October 2018|
|Place of death||Freising|